With millions of acres of public land, one of the largest expanses of green land from New York to Chicago, rolling hills, and lush forests, Pennsylvania is a great place to explore ATV trails.
From Lake Erie in the West to the Delaware River in the East, these are the best ATV trails in Pennsylvania for you to explore.
ATV Laws in Pennsylvania
Before you hit these ATV trails in Pennsylvania, you may be wondering what the rules and regulations might be.
For starters, ATV’s are not street legal in Pennsylvania; they are only allowed on designated trails in the state forests.
ATV’s are not allowed in state parks, state game lands, or on state forest roads.
Pennsylvania also has age restrictions in place that prohibit children under 8 from operating a machine and limits the power of a machine driven by 8 and 9-year-olds.
Before setting out on these Pennsylvania ATV trails, make sure your registration and liability insurance policies are up to date.
Best ATV Trails In Pennsylvania
This Pennsylvania ATV park comprises over 1,000 acres in the Allegheny Mountains.
Located less than two hours from both Erie and Buffalo, Majestic Trails is the best one-stop-shop for ATV enthusiasts in North Central Pennsylvania.
Well-groomed trails are rated as:
- Intermediate (Green)
- Advanced (Blue)
- Expert (Black)
There are also separate singletrack trails for dirt bikes, mountain bikes, and motocross trails.
In the winter, snowmobiles are also allowed.
Helmets are required on all trails, and machines must not exceed 99 decibels.
Annual passes are available, starting at $150 per person, and a 2020 day pass starts at $25.
On-site camping is just $10 per person.
There’s also on-site lodging, with a bunkhouse, cabin, and a log home.
Lodging and services are also available in the nearby towns of Bradford and Smethport.
Cabin Rentals with ATV Trails Near Majestic Trails, PA
- 4 Br Log Home within 7 Minute Drive of Majestic Trails, PA
- Chalet Allegany Mountain Nature Paradise, Eldred, PA- 13 Minutes From Misty Ridge
- 1 or 2 BR Apartment in Smethport, PA-13 Minutes from Misty Ridge ATV Trails
Lost Trails ATV Adventure Park
If you want to practice your technical skills on rocky terrain, look no further than Lost Trails ATV Adventure Park just outside of Scranton in northeastern Pennsylvania.
This year-round adventure park is perfect for all skill levels, even beginners looking for a guided tour.
The ATV and Wildcat rental tours are the perfect way to try before you buy if you’re looking to purchase your first ATV.
Over 2,000 acres of trails include amazing views of the Pocono Mountains.
With color-coded trails, you can explore varying levels of difficulty and over 2,000 feet of elevation change.
Season passes start at $250 while a day pass starts at $29.
Camping, hotels, and dining options are just minutes away in Dunmore or rent a cozy cabin just 16 minutes south in the heart of the Poconos.
Cabin Rentals Near ATV Trails in the Poconos
- Steps from Beach at Big Bass Lake -16 minutes from Lost Trails ATV Park
- Cozy Amish built Cabin with amazing views!- 16 minutes from Lost Trails
Mountain Ridge ATV Park
With more than 140 miles of trails and 40 miles of single-track, Mountain Ridge ATV Park is a fun weekend getaway for ATV riding in southwest Pennsylvania’s Somerset County.
With a goal to be the largest ATV park on the East Coast, Mountain Ridge already has a great selection of easy, moderate, and hard trails.
They even offer night rides for that extra adrenaline rush.
Day rates start at $20 per person, while a season pass starts at $225.
Unlike many other Pennsylvania ATV parks, Mountain Ridge offers campsites with electric hookups and a modern shower house.
Rent an RV to go camping while riding your ATVs near Mountain Ridge and receive a 5% discount when using this link.
There are also three rustic cabins on-site, so everyone in the family can enjoy a comfortable overnight stay before hitting the trails in the morning.
This area of Pennsylvania is full of other attractions, which means many lodging and camping opportunities nearby.
Somerset, Central City, Schellsburg, and Friedens are all nearby.
Cabin Rentals Near Mountain Ridge ATV Trails
- Lazy Daze – 15 Minutes from Mountain Ridge ATV Trails
- Indian Lake lakeside A-Frame with dock- 15 Minutes from Mountain Ridge
Rausch Creek Trailriders
Enjoy challenging coal-country terrain at this members-only acreage outside of Harrisburg.
Managed by Rausch Creek Powersports, the Trailriders community has exclusive access to 8,500 acres of riding and camping land.
There are a total of nine trails, from fun kiddie trails to challenging steep and rocky trails.
Annual membership into the Trailriders starts at $375 for a single membership, which allows you to bring up to four guests per visit for $60 each.
Membership stickers must be displayed at all times on your machine while riding the trails.
Membership also allows for free primitive camping in the parking lots.For other lodging and camping options, nearby towns include Tremont, Pine Grove, and Frackville.
Mines and Meadows ATV/RV Resort
Located halfway between Youngstown, OH, and Pittsburgh, Mines and Meadows Resort has over 80 miles of trails on their nearly 900-acre resort.
Experience one of the most unique ATV trails in Pennsylvania when you go underground on the mine tour.
Explore an abandoned mine on your ATV and visit an underground lake.
Trails range from single track to extra-wide, and a peewee track just for the kids!
Day passes start at $25 per person, with an annual membership starting at $275.
Campers can choose from rustic campsites to those with full hookups. For a more modern experience, check out the onsite vacation cottage.
Plans for additional cabins are in the works!
Related Reading: 8 Thrilling ATV Trails in Tennessee
Delaware State Forest
Pennsylvania’s Delaware State Forest encompasses over 80,000 acres along the New Jersey border in Eastern Pennsylvania.
Within the State Forest, there are three ATV trails that total 28 miles.
The following trails are open to Class I and Class II ATV’s that comply with Pennsylvania State regulations, including liability insurance and DCNR Registration.
- Maple Run – eight miles of novice trails
- Burnt Mills – seven miles of beginner-friendly trails
- Dixon Miller – 15 miles of easy trails, with options for more rugged detours
Additionally, Delaware State Forest is also home to Dancing Ridge, a 1,800-acre area for disabled ATV operators.
Nearby state parks also have more modern camping facilities.
Pennsylvania State Forests
Throughout the state, you’ll find dozens of state forests with all levels of ATV trails from novice to challenging.
These trails are open to ATV’s from the end of May through the end of September.
Camping in this state forest is free of charge but restricted to designated sites.
Class I machines are allowed on all State Forest ATV trails, while Class II machines are restricted to a few trails. Registration and liability insurance are required.
Here are a few of the best Pennsylvania State Forests for ATV riders:
- Susquehannock State Forest – a 43-mile trail that connects to the Sweden Township Road system, offering additional riding opportunities in the area.
- Michaux State Forest – this state forest in Southern Pennsylvania has 35 miles of summer ATV trails and 42 miles of winter ATV trails.
- Bald Eagle State Forest – located in Central Pennsylvania, Bald Eagle State Forest is home to the East Kettle trail, a 20-mile loop through mixed hardwood forest.
Related Reading: 16 Heart Stopping ATV Trails in Georgia
Allegheny National Forest
Pennsylvania’s only National Forest covers over 500,000 acres in the Appalachian Foothills.
With more than 100 miles of off-road trails, this is a prime spot for ATV trails in Pennsylvania.
Summer season runs Memorial Day weekend through the end of September, while winter season is from December through April.
The same regulations apply as in the Pennsylvania State Forests.
Here are a few of the ATV trails you can find in the Allegheny National Forest:
- Marienville ATV/OHM Trail – 14-mile trail with a maximum width of 64 inches
- Penoke ATV/OHM Trail – 23-mile trail with a maximum width of 50 inches
- Rocky Gap ATV/Mountain Bike Trail – 22-mile trail with a maximum width of 50 inches
- Timberline ATV/OHM Trail – 39-mile trail with a maximum width of 64 inches
- Willow Creek ATV/Mountain Bike Trail – 11-mile trail with a maximum width of 50 inches
With mountains, lakes and forests, Pennsylvania is the perfect state for an ATV vacation in the Northeast United States.
You Might Also Be Interested In our Other Outdoor Living Posts
- Fun and Educational Things To Do With Kids in the Smoky Mountains
- Take In The Smokies With Some ATV Trail Riding at Bluff Mountain Adventures Pigeon Forge, TN
- 14 RV Campgrounds in the Florida Keys You Need On Your Bucket List
- My Absolute Favorite Wide Toe Box Hiking Shoes for 2022!
- Best Places To Find UTV Rentals In Gatlinburg