Hiking shoes are your most important ally when hiking. If you’re in the market for the best lightweight hiking shoes that won’t drag you down, look no further because we’ve listed them all for you.
Hiking shoes that aren’t too heavy are a great alternative to a bulky hiking boot.
Combining the comfortable feel of running shoes and the support from hiking boots, these shoes will help you move comfortably faster on various types of trails.
Here are the top 5 hiking shoes that are significantly lighter on the feet and more versatile than ever.
In a hurry? Go straight to my #1 choice for Lightweight Hiking Shoes in 2022
How to Choose A Lightweight Hiking Shoes
Here are the key factors to consider to help you choose the best pair that suits you.
- Weight of shoes. The obvious point of these shoes is to be as lightweight as possible. Hiking shoes that weigh about 1 lb. (453grams) or less per shoe are considered as lightweight shoes.
- Type of Hiking. Consider how technical your hiking is going to be. Are you a veteran hiking on trails with rocky sections with uneven surfaces? Then you need the Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX . For beginners hiking on well-maintained or less rocky trails, we recommend the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator.
- Shorter break-in period. Today, many hiking shoes are made of tough but lighter-weight materials. They are supposed to be less stiff and should have a shorter to none break-in period.
- Traction. All hiking boots in general should offer stability and provide excellent traction on different types of trials.
Related Reading: My Absolute Favorite Wide Toe Box Hiking Shoes for 2022!
Top 5 Picks For the Best Lightweight Hiking Shoe
- Hoka One One Speedgoat 4 – Best Overall Lightweight Hiking Shoe
- Salomon X Ultra 4 LOW GTX – Best Women’s Lightweight Hiking Shoes
- Men’s Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator – Best Men’s Lightweight Hiking Shoes
- Keen Targhee III Low – Best Lightweight Shoe for Wide Feet
- Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX – Best Lightweight Waterproof Hiking Shoes