I have put together a whole list boating resources for my fellow boating enthusiasts, and in this post, I share some of the best pontoon boats on the market and why we chose the brand that we did.
If you are thinking of getting a “redneck yacht” as we lovingly refer to them, then keep reading to discover which pontoon boats are on the top of the list.
I must confess, I’m not usually the spender in our family, but in 2020 when we couldn’t travel much, I was simply itching to have something we could do to get outdoors and feel like we were traveling, even if it was just up the road to our local lake.
So, unlike my normally frugal self, I convinced hubby that I needed a pontoon boat and so here we are, choosing the best pontoon boats on the market 🙂
What Is A Pontoon Boat?
Pontoon boats are easy to recognize with their large, flat appearance and pontoons(tubes) that keep them buoyant on water.
The pontoon or aluminum tubes on these boats allow designers to create different deck plans with all sorts of features and accommodations like lounge areas, stand-up bars, and sun pads.
Pros and Cons of Pontoon Boats
Take a look at the following advantages and disadvantages of pontoon boats to know if it is the perfect watercraft for you.
Advantages of Pontoon Boats
- Pontoon boats are versatile and can be used for all sorts of activities like fishing, tubing, skiing, and wakeboarding. They can also accommodate on-deck parties and perfect places for simple bonding with the family.
- Pontoon boats have spaces enough to comfortably fit quite a number of people. There is a large seating capacity and has enough room for people to walk around.
- Features and amenities that come with pontoon boats make them super comfortable.
- Pontoon Boats are safe and family-friendly.
- The design of pontoon boats allows them to glide over the water smoothly.
- They are easy to clean and maintain
Read our post about the Pros and Cons of Pontoon Boats, for more information.
Disadvantages of Pontoon Boats
- It is not fit for intense water sports
- Pontoon boats are not very fast due to their overall structure and design
- They do not perform well on rough water
- Pontoon boats have a wide turn radius and are a bit harder to maneuver, especially in tight spots.
- Due to their structure, they are easily affected by the wind making it hard to maneuver on windy days.
We chose the Premier Sunsation for the horsepower and the flexibility in seating. The kids loved the rear seating which can be lowered to make a bed. No matter which pontoon boat you choose, I’m sure you’re family will love the adventure on the water as much as we have.
What Is a Tritoon Boat?
Let’s discuss the difference between a Tritoon and a Pontoon, and see what fits you best.
- Pontoons come with 2 fixed aluminum tubes, while tritoon, as the name suggests, comes with 3 aluminum cylinders.
- Both are perfect for relaxed and laid-back trips across the water.
- Tritoons offer greater horsepower and distribute weight more evenly on the water as compared to pontoons.
- Due to the 3rd tube, tritoons are more difficult to navigate/ steer on small spaces and tighter corners or docking.
- Tritoons can be a better option for the ocean and other challenging waters which a pontoon can’t possibly handle.
- Tritoons can cost a greater amount of money compared to pontoons.
- Tritoons require larger trailers to transport and require larger storage space.
Are you torn between getting a pontoon boat or a tritoon? Head on to our guide: Tritoon Vs. Pontoon Boats | Which Is Best For You?
How Safe Are Pontoon Boats In Rough Water?
Because of their structure and design, the chance of pontoon boats capsizing is pretty slim, and reported cases are uncommon.
The two hulls underneath a pontoon boat allow it to sit on the water more stable.
However, pontoon boats are not designed to take on rough water. They are designed to be maneuvered on calm waters like lakes and rivers.
We have been on a pontoon boat in the gulf, but they should not be used when the ocean swells are expected to be tremendous or on stormy days as they are simply not designed for those conditions.
Pontoon Boat Accessories
Pontoon boats are a great way to have some outdoor family fun on the lake or a party with friends out on the open sea. Check out these practical must-have pontoon boat accessories to add to your boat for smooth sailing.
Download Your FREE Boating Pre-Departure Checklist
Recommended Boating Resources
- Recommended Pontoon Boat Accessories
- Best Boat Snacks– These are easy to make and yummy, too
- Pontoon Boating Safety Guide & Checklist
- DIY Pontoon Boat Storage Ideas
MORE RELATED RESOURCES
Are you on the market for your very first pontoon boat? If so, then you might want to check out our post on the Best Entry Level Pontoon Boats on the market.
If you need more convincing on why you should go boating with your family, then you need to read these 7 reasons family boating brings you together.