Camping with kids is an adventure and an even bigger challenge– from keeping them entertained to ensuring their safety. In this RV camping resource guide, we listed some camping hacks with kids that will help ensure a perfect trip.
Taking the kids camping can be a rewarding experience for the whole family. It is a great way to spend quality time together outdoors and create lasting memories.
Camping also helps kids learn independence, build resilience, and appreciate nature.
Of course, there are challenges that come with camping with kids—like dealing with unpredictable weather and managing their energy levels—but with the right preparation and knowledge of camping hacks for children, it can be fun for everyone.
Here are some camping hacks with kids that will surely keep the fun at the campground going.
How Do You Make Camping Easy For Kids?
Camping with kids can be an enjoyable experience for everyone involved. But it takes a bit of extra effort to make sure they’re having the most fun possible.
Here are some camping tips that will help you and your family have the best time ever on your next outdoor adventure:
- Get them involved in the planning process – Camping is much more fun when you’re excited about the trip. Allow your kids to pick out a few snacks for the trip, plan activities, and help choose the campsite.
- Keep them occupied – Bring along plenty of activities that can be done outdoors such as books, art supplies, bubbles, and games. Camping is a great opportunity to unplug, but you don’t want your kids getting bored.
- Give them an adventure buddy – Assign each kid in your group an adult they can look to when they need help or get scared. This gives them a sense of security and will make the camping trip more enjoyable for everyone.
- Camp closer to home – Camping doesn’t have to be an all-day affair. Instead of taking a long road trip, find campsites that are closer to home. This helps keep the kids focused and avoids any crankiness from too much travel.
- Make sure they get plenty of rest – Camping can be tiring for kids, so make sure to plan some downtime each day where everyone takes a break and relaxes. It’s also important to keep an eye on the time, as getting enough sleep is essential for a successful camping trip.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your next camping trip will be enjoyable for everyone.
Camping hacks with kids can help make the experience even more fun – so get out there and start exploring!
Camping Hacks with Kids
Camping provides an opportunity for families to spend quality time together, get away from their normal routine and explore the outdoors.
It also teaches kids important life skills such as problem-solving, resourcefulness, resilience, and self-reliance.
But sometimes, planning for a camping trip with kids can seem overwhelming; there’s so much to consider.
This is why we have compiled some of the best camping hacks for a perfect trip with kids to help you in planning your next adventure.
- Plan ahead: Camping with kids requires more preparation than regular camping, so make sure you plan ahead and pack accordingly.
- Safety first: Make sure to bring the appropriate supplies and checklists to ensure the campsite is safe for children. Bring flashlights, first-aid kits, insect repellent, and extra clothing so kids can have some fun in the sun without worry.
- Bring the right gear: Camping with kids requires special items that you may not need on an adult-only excursion. Make sure to bring age-appropriate sleeping bags, light and comfortable rain gear, child-sized backpacks and camping chairs for kids, and plenty of snacks.
- Read up on the area: Research the campground before you go so you know what to expect. Find out about any special activities for kids such as swimming pools or playgrounds, as well as hazards like poison ivy or dangerous wildlife.
- Keep them entertained: Camping can get boring quickly, so be sure to bring plenty of activities that the kids can do at the campsite or on a nearby hiking trail. Check out these kid-friendly hikes in Gatlinburg! A few more ideas are bringing along books, playing cards, and outdoor games like frisbee or badminton. You can even play bowling at night by putting glowsticks in plastic bottles for improvised bowling pins!
- Make Camp Cooking fun: Campfire cooking doesn’t have to be a chore. Let the kids help out by allowing them to stir ingredients, add toppings, or shape foods like pancakes into fun shapes.
- Take advantage of natural wonders: Camping with kids is an opportunity to show them the wonders of nature in a safe way. Bring a pair of binoculars, a guide to local flora and fauna, or a beginner’s star-gazing book so they can take in the beauty around them. The kids will also enjoy a good scavenger hunt game. Check out these National Park scavenger hunt game printables from PhotoJeepers.
Camping with kids can be an amazing experience if you come prepared. With the right camping hacks for children, your family will have a safe and enjoyable trip full of memories that will last a lifetime.
Shop My Favorite Camping Coolers
The following Rotomolded Coolers are some of my favorite brands and represent the best camping coolers on the market. If you need something that will keep your camping meals fresh all week, these are the coolers to choose! Yes, these are affiliate links.
Download Our FREE RV Kitchen Checklist
MORE RELATED RESOURCES
Camping with kids definitely requires lots of energy. Check out these high-protein camping meals so you can keep up with them!
Don’t let the rainy days stop your kids from playing and having fun at the campground. Check out these camping activities for rainy days from Four Around The World that are sure to be so much fun!