Camping season is upon us and there’s no denying the truth of the matter. I camp for food! If you are like me and the highlight of your RV camping adventures revolves around what’s on the picnic table at night, then you are going to love these 10 cheap camping meals for the whole family.
How Can I Eat Cheap While Camping?
Eating cheap while camping is not hard. Most traditional camping meals are very budget friendly. They are also usually quite easy, but I wasn’t sure if titling this post “cheap and easy” camping meals” would be a good idea. 😉
Nonetheless, camping meals can definitely be both cheap and easy. Consider these cheap camping meal ideas for cheap eats while camping.
- Grilled Hot Dogs
- Beanie Weenies
- Cold Cut Sandwiches
- Scrambled Eggs
- Baked Potatoes (Cook these on the embers of an open fire! You will thank me!)
- Salads made with local produce (I always stop at the local produce stand on the way to the campground for some great deals.)
What Are Easy Meals For Camping?
Another great thing about camping meals is that not only can they be cheap, but they can be incredibly easy. With a little prep time, you can have some amazing camping meals with very little clean up.
Beyond the super easy camping meals of sandwiches and hot dogs, you can cook meals in numerous ways that are not only easy to prepare and clean up, but also super fun for the family.
All of the following methods for camping meals are easy and fun. You can even cook Keto Camping meals with ease.
- Make Ahead Camping Meals
- One Pot Camping Meals
- Foil Packet Camping Meals
- Camping Meals on a Stick
- Dutch Oven Camping Meals
- Cast Iron Camping Meals
- Healthy Camping Meals
- Keto Camping Meals
Another reason camping meals can be cheap is because you can DIY so much before you go even your condiments can be DIY.
Here are few cheap camping meals from each of the above categories to inspire you to get started. Be sure to check out all of our camping meal posts for more great ideas.
10 Cheap Camping Meals For Maximum Yum!
A Few More Budget Tips For Cheap Camping Meals
Want a few more tips for keeping the camping budget low? Here are a few ways I save money on camping supplies and camping meals.
- Make a list and a menu. You meal plan at home and camping should be no different. The best way to cut the budget is to plan ahead and keep checklist of everything you need or already have on hand before you shop. I created camping checklists to use on my mobile phone so I can go through my pantry and check off what I already have. This really eliminates doubling up or overbuying for my trip.
- Make plan ahead camping meals. A great way to save is to make ahead as many of your meals you can. If you are in an RV and have access to a freezer, you can make ahead most of your meals. This saves you time and money. If you are tent camping, consider investing in a roto-molded cooler which can keep ice for up to 7 days in many cases.
- Smoke your meats and eat leftovers. Another way to save money, is to eat leftovers. We love to smoke a pork roast in our portable electric smoker and eat bbq pork sandwiches for several days. This is a delicious way to stretch the dollar.
- Buy Local. Another favorite camping food tradition is to research ahead and find the farmers markets or local produce stands in the nearest town before heading into the campground. You can often get some great deals on local produce in the summer like corn on the cob, tomatoes, and peppers. You might also score some good deals on canned goods and honey.
- Potatoes, potatoes, potatoes. I absolutely LOVE potatoes cooked in foil on the embers of a campfire. You can make a super cheap, hearty, and delicious meal out of a big baking potato. It is definitely a go to for me when I want a cheap camping meal.
You Might Also Be Interested In our Other Camping Posts