Have you gone recreational ATV Riding while on vacation and loved it so much that you now find yourself dreaming of owning your very own 4-wheeler? Then it’s time to answer the question how much are ATVs?
The average cost of an ATV varies greatly depending on the type, engine size, and features you choose. Keep reading to get a good idea of how much you can expect to spend on an ATV in 2023.
With a variety of options on the market, picking the right ATV is not an easy task. In this post, we break down the average prices of 4-wheelers and SxS ATVs in 2023.
Related Reading: ATV vs UTV? Which is best for You?
How Much Does An ATV Cost?
According to the most recent ATV industry trends, a brand new ATV from a delaership will cost you between $8,000 and $17,000 MSRP in 2023.
How Much Is a Four Wheeler?
On average a new 4-wheeler will cost between $4,000 and $10,000 MSRP.
How Much is a Side by Side?
Depending on your needs and budget, expect to spend $7000 to as high as $30,000 for a brand new SxS ATV with the average SxS falling in at around $15,000 MSRP.
A brand new 2023 Honda FourTrax Recon 4-wheeler will set you back $4499 or you can go for the maxed out 2023 Polaris RZR Pro XP SxS with all the bells and whistles and spend upwards of $22,000
How Much Is A Used ATV?
As you might expect, used ATVs are generally more economical than brand new ATVs and also offer more negotiating opportunities.
However, don’t expect there to be a large difference in the price unless are are buying a used ATV that is 5-10 years old.
Used ATV prices can still be as high as $4,000-$20,000 for 2019 or 2020 models.
If you are willing to go to with an ATV from 2016-2018, you can expect to save an additional 20-40% off the price of a brand new ATV.
For example, here are the average Kelly Blue Book typical list prices for a Can-Am Outlander X mr 1000R
- 2020: $14,405
- 2019: $13,300
- 2018: $10,645
- 2017: $12,215
- 2016: $ 9,100
Buying Used ATVs can be a great option because you have more negotiating power, and may be able to get a higher-end ATV, with aftermarket upgrades, for significantly less than a brand new model.
Related Reading: How Much is ATV Riding?
Are ATVs Expensive To Maintain?
The expenses that come with ATV riding don’t end after you have bought your dream ATV and taken it for a ride. Just like any other vehicle, it also comes with maintenance costs.
- Maintenance/Repairs– The sky’s the limit when it comes to maintenance expenses. For example, the cost of a general tune-up can cost anywhere between $100-$400 and includes anything from changing the oil, swapping out spark plugs, etc. However, if you want to let the professionals handle it, be ready to shell out around $80-100/hour on labor fees alone.
- ATV insurance Cost– The average cost of ATV insurance will range from $100 to $1,600 annually depending on your desired coverage.
- ATV Gear Cost– The total cost of gear is a very large range. For your essential ATV riding gear including ATV helmets and protective clothing, expect to spend around $600 and up depending on your needs and budget.
- Riding permits– Expect to spend around $150 annually for this one.
- ATV tires– Like cars, ATVs need tire changes at some point. Depending on where you are riding, how you are riding, and what type of tires you have, the cost can range from $50- $400 per tire.
Related Reading: How to perform an ATV Pre-Ride Inspection
The total cost of owning an ATV can greatly vary, but on average, you can expect to pay over $1000 annually to maintain your ATV.
Add that to your monthly payment to purchase the ATV, and your annual expenditures could be between $5,000-$8,000 per year.
If you only plan to ride an ATV on vacation, then we recommend you consider renting an ATV rather than purchasing one. Check out our post on the average cost of ATV riding to learn more.
Fun ATV Riding Clothes
While protective gear is essential on the trail, it’s ok to look cute and share your wilder riding side with the world. I’m a big fan of ball caps and love this adorable “ATV hair, Don’t Care” hat from Sew Vivid Design on Etsy. Be sure to Check out all this cute ATV apparel.
Download Your FREE ATV Pre-Ride Checklist
Recommended ATV Riding Resources
- Top ATV Trails Near Me in the Southeast
- Must-Have ATV Accessories
- ATV Riding Clothes– Everything you need to get started
- ATV Trails Near Me Facebook Group
More Related Resources
Now that you have an idea of the cost of ATVs, now is the perfect time to check out the Best ATV For Trail Riding on the market.
And speaking of ATVs for trail riding, here is a post with a review of the Honda ATV and Side by Side.