If you want your pontoon boat to last, covering it properly is a must. In this boating resource guide, we’ll teach you how to cover a pontoon boat the easier and more efficient way.
Whether in season or in storage, your pontoon boat should be covered to protect it from elements that can contribute to its damage. But covering a pontoon boat can be a tricky and time-consuming task.
If you think you can use some help when it comes to your pontoon boat covering techniques, then you’ve come to the right place.
Today, I’ll share with you tips on how to put a cover on a pontoon boat without too much hassle.
Should You Cover A Pontoon Boat?
The short answer is Yes. If you’re thinking about whether you need to cover your pontoon boat or not, here are the reasons why you totally should.
- A boat cover protects your pontoon boats from scratches and dents caused by factors like falling twigs or branches.
- It prevents dust & debris from entering the inside of the boat
- It also protects your boats from the harsh rays of the sun that might cause your boat’s color to fade
- Protects your boat from the rain and winter snow
- It prevents bugs, critters, and other insects from settling inside your boat
- Effective way to hide gears on the boat, lessening the chances of becoming the target of theft.
By protecting your pontoon boat with a cover, you can not only enjoy it for many more years to come, but you also have an investment asset that you can use when the time comes that you want to sell it.
Before purchasing a pontoon boat cover it’s important to look for a cover that is waterproof, breathable and made from a heavy-duty material that can withstand harsh weather conditions.
Here are oour top picks for the Best Pontoon Boat Covers on the market.
How To Put Cover On Pontoon Boat?
Because pontoon boats are quite uniquely designed, putting a cover on them can be tricky.
If you always find yourself struggling with covering your pontoon boats, here are easy steps to help you with your dilemma;
- Before covering, make sure to take all the trash out and clean everything up.
- Ensure that there is no water inside the boat and try to keep everything dry.
- Set the Poles aside and make sure it is accessible so you don’t have trouble setting it up later
- Fold back the bimini top and cover it with the boot cover
- Take out your mooring cover from the storage compartment and start unfolding it while inside the boat.
- Having a clear starting point will make things easier for you. You can work your way from the front to the back or vice versa.
*You can either search for the gate zipper or look for the front part of the cover that lines up with the front part of the boat
- If you start at the front of the boat, before you start snapping it on, make sure you have the correct spot on the cover lined up.
- Just keep snapping all the buttons until your reach the other end of the pontoon boat
*Another way to do this is just lay the cover over the boat without snapping it first and set up the poles as you work your way to the other end of the boat.
9. Get the poles and set them up underneath the cover.
In addition to covering your pontoon boat, you should also take extra care of your boat seats, consider placing pontoon boat seat covers to minimize unnecessary wear and tear. This is a smart move especially if you didn’t fully cover your boat.
Pontoon Boat Winter Cover
Pontoon boats should be covered during the winter especially if you plan to store them outdoors. Because rain and snow can build up and create pooling on the cover, the cover must be properly sized, secured to the boat, and well-supported to direct snow and water down and away from the boat.
If you’re looking for the best pontoon boat cover for winter for your pontoon boats, here are our top two recommendations:
Whether you’re parking your pontoon boat for the winter or just for the weekend, boat covers are extremely important.
Along with other necessary maintenance steps, failing to cover your boat is going to cause some problems. And eventually, it is going to turn into major and more expensive problem down the line.
Make sure to follow this guide on how to cover your pontoon to keep your boat in great condition when you finally take it out again to sail.
Pontoon Boat Accessories
Pontoon boats are a great way to have some outdoor family fun on the lake or a party with friends out on the open sea. Check out these practical must-have pontoon boat accessories to add to your boat for smooth sailing.
Recommended Boating Resources
- Recommended Pontoon Boat Accessories
- Best Boat Snacks– These are easy to make and yummy, too
- Pontoon Boat Hacks– Simplify your days on the water with these boating hacks
MORE RELATED RESOURCES
Aside from being excellent boats for parties and water sports, pontoons are also perfect for fishing enthusiasts. Check out our post of best fishing pontoon boats on the market, if you wish to get one in the future.
Still in doubt if you should buy a boat? Maybe these 7 reasons for family boating will finally convince you.