Is Townsend, TN worth visiting? Absolutely! You ask why? Here is a Smoky Mountains vacation guide with all the reasons why you should visit.
Located in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, this small town offers visitors a wealth of outdoor adventures as well as interesting historical sites.
If you’re looking for a great place to visit with plenty of activities, stunning natural beauty, and friendly people, then Townsend, TN is the perfect destination.
Discover more about this charming town as we answer the question, is Townsend, TN worth visiting?
What is Townsend, TN known for?
Townsend, Tennessee is an unincorporated community tucked away in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. It is known for being a popular gateway to nearby attractions such as Cades Cove, The Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and the Little River.
Townsend is nicknamed the “Peaceful Side of the Smokies” due to its small-town feel and leisurely pace. It is a popular destination for hikers, campers, canoeists, and fishermen due to its picturesque scenery and abundance of outdoor activities.
Is Townsend, TN Worth Visiting?
Townsend, Tennessee, is the perfect destination for history buffs, outdoor enthusiasts, and those seeking a peaceful retreat. Here are the many reasons why you should absolutely visit Towsend, TN:
- Picturesque Views: It is one of the gateways to the national park and offers some of the most beautiful views in the Appalachians. On a clear day, you can see for miles!
- Water Adventures: The Little River is one of the most popular places for tubing, kayaking, and rafting. Enjoy the perfect summer day floating on a tube or raft!
- Historic Treasures: History buffs will appreciate the variety of historical sites near Towsend like Cades Cove, one of the most visited areas in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, as well as several preserved 19th-century buildings nearby.
- Outdoor Activities: For hikers and outdoor adventurers, Towsend is a great jumping-off point for exploring the Great Smoky Mountains. From leisurely walks to challenging hikes, there’s something for everyone!
- Relaxation: If you’re looking for a quiet getaway from your busy city life, Townsend is perfect. From restaurants serving up classic Southern fare to cozy cabins and inns, this small town is an ideal spot to relax and recharge.
Townsend, TN is an ideal destination for any type of traveler looking for a change of scenery. With its long list of attractions and activities, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
How Far Is Townsend, Tennessee From Gatlinburg Or Pigeon Forge?
Townsend, Tennessee is found approximately 25 miles away from Gatlinburg. The drive from Gatlinburg takes around 45 minutes.
If you’re coming from Pigeon Forge, Townsend is about 18 miles away and the drive will take approximately 34 minutes.
The route follows Highway 321 through beautiful areas of the Smokies, so it can be a great way to enjoy the stunning sights of East Tennessee.
And before you know it, you’ll be in Townsend, TN where you can relax and have fun at the same time! Yeehaw! So load up yer car and head on over for some good old-fashioned Appalachian adventure! We’ll see ya soon!
Smoky Mountains 7-Day Itinerary
I understand how difficult it can be to plan a trip, especially if it’s your first time going. That’s why I created this 7-day itinerary for the Smoky Mountains. It outlines all of the best places to go in the area and comes with insider tips that will save you a lot of stress–trust me, they saved me when I was planning my own trip!
- Our 7-day itinerary takes you to the best places in the Smoky Mountains.
- You’ll get to see all the best sights and attractions with driving directions
- The itinerary is designed to show you the most scenic routes.
- Packing Checklist for every season.
- You’ll have everything you need to make the most of your trip.
- Insider Tips!
Here’s a quick overview of our Smoky Mountains 7-Day Itinerary.
- Day 1: Cades Cove Loop
- Day 2: Rich Mountain Road
- Day 3: Cataloochee Valley
- Day 4: Newfound Gap Road
- Day 5: Roaring Fork Motor Trail
- Day 6: Little River Road
- Day6: Foothills Parkway
Get This FREE Smoky Mountains Checklist Now!
Related Smoky Mountain Resources
- Pigeon Forge Vacation Guide
- Gatlinburg Vacation Guide
- 125+ Things to Do in the Smoky Mountains
- Great Smoky Mountains Family Vacations Facebook Group
MORE RELATED RESOURCES
If you’re in for a relaxing and peaceful camping experience, then you need to check out these 8 Campgrounds in Townsend, TN.
To capture the best photos while in the Smokies, make sure to get a good quality and portable travel camera.