If organizing your RV kitchen cabinets is a task you can’t seem to tackle, check out this RV camping resource guide full of my top tips and RV hacks to help you learn how to organize your RV kitchen.Getting your RV camper organized and feeling like home sweet home is not as hard as you think and is one of my favorite things to help my readers do.
How To Organize RV Kitchen Cabinets
Here are a few RV hacks to help you best organize your RV Kitchen Cabinets.
Since all your dishware, utensils, and food are stored in the built-in cabinets found around the RV kitchen, learning how to utilize these spaces properly is key!
For a quick reference, here is a great RV Cabinet Organizing resource list to get you started.
RV Cabinet Organizing Resource List
In a hurry? Here’s a quick list of all the items we recommend in this post to help you organize your RV kitchen cabinets.
Types of RV Kitchen Cabinets
RV kitchen cabinetry can vary widely and older models of RV campers may be tighter on space than newer ones.
Organizing your RV kitchen cabinets according to their ideal function and size will enable you to be more efficient and less cluttered in your small kitchen space.
- Overhead cabinets– As the name implies, these cabinets are located just above your head. Perfect for containing the lighter items in your kitchen, they can be easily organized with containers, boxes, and baskets.
- Under Sink Cabinets– These are best suited for cleaning supplies and sponges. Often there are 2 shelves with the upper shelf having some space take up by the sink. I keep a few pots and pans here as well.
- Under counter Cabinets/Cupboards– If you are fortunate, you will have one or two more under counter cabinets for additional kitchen cookware and appliances.
- Drawers– Typically, it is used to store small kitchen wares like cutleries.
How to Keep RV Cabinets From Opening
It’s important to secure your things after organizing your RV kitchen cabinets to minimize shifting when the camper is in motion. Here are a few tips to assist with this task.
- Tension rods– Tension rods are also great to keep things from falling out, especially on open shelf cabinetry.
- Cupboard locks– If your cabinetry door doesn’t have a secure fit, invest in cupboard locks to keep the cabinet drawers secured during transport. These also work great for your RV fridge.
- Gorilla Grip Original Drawer and Shelf Liner– Use a self liner in your cabinets to keep your cups and dishes in place.
RV Food Storage Ideas
Categorizing your shelves will decrease food prep time.
- Categorize by meal-Arrange your food shelves by meal, such as breakfast, lunch, and dinner to make prep time a breeze.
- Categorize by food type- Arrange items according to their use, such as baked goods in one area, canned goods on another, and dry goods in yet a different area.
How to Store Dishes in an RV
- Vertical Kitchen Racks-If your cabinet is tall enough, store your plates, pans, cutting boards, trays, and items alike vertically.
- Utilize these kitchen racks designed to keep your dishes securely in place.
Related Reading: Best RV Kitchen Dishes
RV Kitchen Counter Space
While it’s important to make the most out of the space you have in your RV kitchen, be sure to leave some empty space on your counters and for extra items purchased while on the road.
Store Commonly Used RV Kitchen Items at Eye Level
Whenever possible, store your most commonly used items at eye level to avoid having to bend over or reach for the step ladder too often.
- Utilize Rectangular Clear Containers– Long, clear containers also work well in this space to keep things organized.
RV Pantry Slide Out Shelves
Deep Kitchen Cabinets are challenging; sometimes, small items get shoved to the back, and getting them out can be a real pain!
- Slide Out Metal Racks–One solution to this nightmare is installing slide-out metal racks inside your cabinets. Attach them to the cabinet door so every time you open that shelf, everything is within easy reach.
RV Kitchen Cabinet Organizers
The first thing to consider is what type of cabinet organizers will work best with your cabinet type.
- Inside Door Racks– One of the best space-saving ideas is to use your cabinet doors by adding vertical storage options like door racks that hang on your door.
- Wall Mount Organizers– Use wall mount organizers on the inside surfaces of your cabinet doors for even more storage options. Remember to pre-measure and make sure that there is enough room inside the cabinets once the door mounts are attached.
- Add Hooks to backside of your cabinet doors– This is a great way to store measuring cups and spoons for quick access.
- Cork Boards– Attach cork tiles/board on the inside surface of your cabinet doors, put some hooks in it, and you can hang items like measuring cups or spoons.
RV Cabinet Shelves
Next, you may want to consider some tools to help increase the space within your cabinets and on the shelves. Shelf risers and hooks are great for this.
- Use Shelf Risers- Another way to increase the space in your RV kitchen cabinets is to add shelf risers. Metal shelf risers help you use every space inside your cabinet without the need to stack every item on top of each other.
- Cabinet Ceiling Hooks– One simple idea is attaching hooks; it is perfect for holding items like mugs or measuring cups.
RV Food Storage Containers
Sometimes the containers that items come in from the grocery store can make it difficult to organize small spaces.
I find it’s often easier to move snack items and dry goods to stackable food containers. This enables me to better organize my cabinets and move things around, especially if I’m working with a narrow or deep space like in the RV pantry.
- Tupperware Storage Containers–Choose food storage containers that are easily labeled and stackable such as these stackable Tupperware containers.
- Durahome Storage Containers–Another economical and lightweight option are these deli containers by Durahome. These are great because despite coming in different sizes, all the lids are the same size. If you are anything like me, that just saved you 20 minutes. Haha!
RV Utensil Storage
Don’t spend all your time organizing your kitchen cabinets only to neglect the utensil drawer.
- Bamboo Kitchen Drawer Organizer– Keep your cutleries and utensils neat with this beautiful bamboo drawer organizer from Royal Craft Wood.
- Plastic flatware tray with lid– For really handy option to organize your utensils, check out this flatware plastic tray with a lid. This would be great for keeping your utensils neatly stored, but also for taking out to the picnic table for your outdoor dining.
What tips and tricks have you found work best for keeping your RV cabinets organized?
Download this FREE RV Kitchen Checklist!
More RV Camping Resources
- RV Checklists For Every Need
- RV Campgrounds Throughout the Southeast
- Camping Meals You Will Love To Prep
- RV Camping Organization Hacks For The Whole Camper
MORE RELATED RESOURCES
If you liked this article then you should also check out this article on How to Pack Your RV Fridge as well as ways on How To Keep Your Fridge From Molding.