Are you having a hard time deciding how to organize your RV closet? Do not fret! In this RV organization resource guide, we give you some practical tips to help you tidy up your tiny closet space.
Organizing your RV camper can be a challenge no matter which space you are in. As you probably already know, RV closets are much smaller than your typical bedroom closets at home, which makes it even harder for you to organize your RV closet.
Think of trying to fit all your clothes for the week into a closet not much bigger than your cabinet under the bathroom sink.
Keep scrolling as we’ve gathered some great RV tips and tricks to help you organize your RV closet.
How To Organize Your RV Closet?
Before we jump into the tips and tricks on how to better organize your RV closets, you have to promise me that you understand that living in an RV––whether for the short term or long term––means you have to have a mindset shift.
The reality is, no matter how many tips and tricks you use, there’s only so much space you can use in your RV and you aren’t going to be able to bring everything.
If you understand this, then keep reading as I talk about how to organize your RV closet with what you do bring.
7 Tips For Organizing Your RV Closet
Here are seven tips to help you organize your RV closet in a sinch!
Simplify Your Wardrobe
RV living is all about simplifying. But how would you know which ones to bring? A good rule of thumb is the 80/20 rule which just means that 80% of the things you wear are only 20% of the things you own.
Pack accordingly. I have created a list for each of my family members by season. This helps me tremendously in deciding which clothes to bring when we are camping.
Here’s some basic clothing that you should pack in your RV closet:
- Pajamas or sleepwear
- Outdoor clothing- Choose something that’s suitable for the season or weather.
- Clothes for specific occasions- Pack things needed for events or activities such as swimming or hiking.
Hanging Your Clothes
Once you’ve narrowed down your stuff, it’s now time to learn how to organize your RV closet. Separate clothes that need hanging versus those that you can fold.
Try these tips to maximize your space:
- Cover your hanger rods with wire cover tubing with ridges to keep your hangers in place.
- No slip, slim hangers are great space savers and you no longer have to worry about your clothes slipping off due to its no-slip feature.
- Multilayered hangers are great for maximizing your vertical space and keeping your clothes wrinkle-free throughout your trip.
- If there’s still room for hanging, you can add hanging storage cubbies where you can put your folded clothes.
Folded Clothes In Closet
Folding clothes takes less space compared to hanging them, so fold clothes as much as you can to create more space for your other clothing.
- It’s best to use transparent plastic drawers to keep your folded clothes and place them beneath your hangers.
- Stackable bins– Put your folded clothes inside these bins and stack them. As easy as that!
- Maximize your RV closet space by learning different methods of folding your clothes, because smaller is better! Check out this video about different folding techniques that you can use to save space when organizing your RV closet.
Utilize RV Closet Doors
Doors are always a great option for storing your items, this is especially true when you organize your RV closet.
- Attach hooks to your closet doors for your belts, ties, small bags, accessories, sunnies, and the like.
- Wire baskets are perfect for storing small items. Make sure you measure your closet space before putting wire baskets on the doors.
- Adding plastic organizers to your closet doors allows you to store multiple items inside.
Maximize Closet Drawers
If you’re lucky enough to have multiple closet drawers inside your RV camper, make sure to maximize every space that you have.
- Add tension rods inside your closet drawers to store and secure your shoes in their place.
- Keep your personal items or small things in a foldable drawer.
- Add dividers inside your drawers so you can sort and separate them into groups. If you plan to purchase one, make sure to measure your drawers first.
- Putting containers and bins inside works just like your drawer dividers, you can put the same items all together and keep everything neat and organized.
Add Light To Your Closet
- Adding lights to your closet helps you utilize every inch of space more efficiently and cuts down on the time it takes you to find your clothes.
Where To Put Dirty Laundry In RV
Organizing your RV closet doesn’t end after you arrange all your clean clothes. With limited space left for fitting other things inside your RV closet, you also need to plan how to store your dirty laundry.
- Use a collapsible laundry basket so you can expand and collapse it anytime you need them.
- Mesh bags are great to use to store your laundry. You can toss them basically anywhere or hang them in any corner that you want. We keep ours in the utility closet with the broom.
- It’s best to use a slim laundry hamper for your dirty laundry because they can fit in smaller and tight spaces.
Join our RV Campgrounds Near Me Group on Facebook to meet more RV camping enthusiasts such as yourself. We share all things RV camping including camping hacks, RV Campground reviews, and fun RV camping stories. Also be sure to follow our RV Campgrounds Near Me Page and Like us on Facebook.
Get Our FREE RV Kitchen Checklist Now!
MORE RELATED RESOURCES
Make your camping adventures more fun with these 35 fun camping games that are perfect for the whole family.