As a homeschooling mom, my favorite outdoor toys for kids are those that incorporate learning and adventure. I also really enjoy throwback outdoor games and toys for kids like I had in the 80’s. Frisbees, kites, roller skates, and outdoor forts are definitely at the top of my list.
Now that daylight savings time has begun, the temperatures are beginning to rise, and the dreary days of winter are nearly behind us, excitement for the lazy days of summer is beginning to mount in our home. Of course, I know full well that it will only take 48 hours after our last day of school before I hear,
“Mom, I’m booooooored.”
While I’m sure you are like me and would love to spend every single day of summer traveling, camping, or hiking, it just isn’t always feasible. I did a little digging and found some great outdoor activities, lawn games, and toys for this summer. These outdoor games and toys for kids are sure to help you get those kids off the screens and outside to play this summer. Check out this guide for toddler travel toys if you need ideas for those travel days.
These adventure kits and scavenger hunt games are my favorite type of outdoor toys as they spark imagination and make kids excited to explore nature.
- Adventure Boxes by Red Oak Adventures- This ETSY shop is great! They have adventure kits for every interest and age level. Does your child long to start her own garden? Check out their Junior Garden Adventure Box. Got an insect obsessed preschooler? Get an Insect Adventure, Save The Bees, or Butterfly Adventure Box. We love using our nature walks to expand our artistic talent by brush drawings and artwork in our nature journals so the Nature Artist Adventure Box caught my eye. For the ultimate adventure, get your kids this Animal Track Set and really get them excited about their next hike!
- Born Toys Explorer Kit for Kids with Washable Premium Backyard Safari Vest and Adventure kit– My kids absolutely LOVE this set! All three of them have worn it so I can attest to its durability as it is going on 12 years old now and still a favorite with the younger kids who can still wear the vest. My 8 year old daughter still packs up her pack and puts on her vest for our nature walks. Kids just love these kits!
- The Idea Box Kits are a great way to get the kids off those screens and outside. The scavenger hunt kit will keep the kids occupied for hours. They also have a Backyard Box, Adventure Box, and Summertime Activities Box. Not to mention several other activity kits for those days and seasons when getting outside is not possible but getting active is still your goal! You can find The Idea Box Kits on Amazon and Etsy.
- gofindit – Outdoor Nature Scavenger Hunt Card Game for Families–another fun Outdoor Scavenger hunt game available on Amazon are the gofindit kits. They have the Scavenger Hunt and Nature Hunt versions great for kids ages 3 and up. Kit comes in a drawstring burlap bag with colorful cards easy to pack in a backpack.
Can’t go wrong with the simple old fashioned toys we all grew up with. My kids love playing frisbee and I’m always amazed how excited they get when they get a new one.
- Nite Ize Flashflight Disc-O– This thing is cool! Colored LEDs in the center of the disc illuminate the fiber optics which extend to the end of the disc ensuring balanced and true flight.
- Activ Life Best Kid’s Flying Rings– These are lighter weight than average frisbees and a great option for smaller kids.
- Kan Jam–For even more family fun, check out Kan Jam . This is a great outdoor toy for kids and the whole family at the campground, in the backyard, or at the beach.
- Roller Derby Inline Skates– Ok mama, can you remember how you felt when you strapped on your first pair of skates? I’m not sure this would be an activity I’d be too comfortable joining in these days, but maybe it’s time to get a “brand new pair of roller skates” and “try them out you see”. I love these adjustable inline skates by Roller Derby for boys and girls.
- Fisher Price Grow With Me 1,2,3 skates– My daughter has loved her Grow With Me skates. They are the perfect stepping stone for little ones and a fun way to get outside and enjoy the summer weather.
Giant Bubble Wands & Bubbles
- WOWMazing Giant Bubble Kit–There is no question that bubbles are always a hit with kids no matter what the age.
- CONCENTRATED Bubble Solution Refill- I always stock our travel trailer before heading to the campground each year with plenty of bubbles.
Outdoor Chalk and Stencils
- Jumbo Sidewalk Chalk Set- Speaking of things I stock up on for the summer camping season, sidewalk chalk is a must! Next to bubbles, sidewalk chalk is a favorite go to outdoor toy for kids at the campground.
- Sidewalk Stencils– For extra fun, pick up some sidewalk chalk stencils. Your artistic kid will love you.
- Huge Rainbow Kite for Kids– These rainbow kites are great for outdoor fun in the Spring and the Fall.
- Prism Designs Zenith Kite– For the truly young at heart that really wants a thrill check out these Kites by Zenith Kite at REI
- Kites, Palm Coast, Florida– Handmade and unique kites perfect for those windy beach days
Outdoor Yard Games
This is where things really start getting fun for the whole family! These games will keep you playing until the lightning bugs come out at night. (That’s fireflies for those of you not from the south.)
- American Cornhole Association Official Cornhole Boards & Bags Set American Flag Design– Show off your patriotic side with these Rustic Flag designs by the American Cornhole Association
- PROLINE NCAA – Vintage Design– Cheer for your favorite team with these NCAA Vintage Design cornhole boards (We, of course, have University of Tennessee Cornhole Boards in our house.)
- GoSports Portable PVC Framed Cornhole Toss Game Set with 8 Bean Bags and Travel Carrying Case– For something a little more lightweight and easy to throw in the camper, check out these portable Cornhole boards from GoSports.
- Custom Cornhole Boards Incorporated– For a truly custom and rustic made look, order your handmade cornhole board from Custom Cornhole Boards Inc. on ETSY.
Yardzee & Farkle
Go ahead! You know you want to! Say it again, “Farkle” “Farkle, Farkle, Farkle” Ok, you don’t even need to buy this game to keep the kids entertained. Just tell them the name and they will spend at least a day or so making up new ways to use the word, “Farkle” in a sentence. HaHa! All jokes aside, these giant Dice (or is it die???) games are so much fun!
- GoSports Giant Wooden Playing Dice Set– Complete with Bonus Rollzee and Farkle Scoreboard. Dice measure 3.5″ x 3.5″ x 3.5″
- Splinter Woodworking Co Yardzee & Yard Farkle Giant Yard Dice Set– This all in one set is perfect for the campground or the backyard. Up to 5 players can play and the bucket storage container makes clean up and stow away a breeze. (Check Yardzee price on ETSY)
- Amazon Basics Ladder Toss Set with Soft Carrying Case– Easy to learn and transport. This is an Amazon Best Seller.
- Tailgating Pros Premium Ladder Toss Game with Bolos and Carrying Case-Very affordable handmade ladder toss by Tailgating Pros on ETSY
- Elite Outdoor Kids Games – Ring Toss Games For Kids– Great outdoor game for kids of all ages. Safer than horseshoes so even the little tykes can join in. Easy storage and transport making it the perfect lawn game for the campground
- Elite Hookey Ring Toss Game – We love this game for it’s safety as well. So much safer than darts and you can hang it virtually anywhere.
- Giant Timber – Jumbo Size Genuine Hardwood Game-For ages 8 years and up, these giant Jenga games create such a sense of anticipation and excitement that when your camping neighbors hear all the fun, you will quickly have a gathering at your campsite.
I grew up spending lots of time in the backyard trying to master the birdie aka “shuttlecock” and badminton racket. It’s a great hand eye coordination game and it’s loads of fun, too.
- Outside Inside Racket Set | REI Co-op This outside inside racket set by REI is perfect for the campground and at home. Small and easily portable includes 2 rackets, 1 foam tennis ball, 1 skip ball and 1 birdie
- Franklin Sports Badminton – Starter, Family, Professional Sets– This is a perfect beginner family set complete with net, rackets, and birdies.
Outdoor Playsets & Climbing Toys
For the little monkeys in your life this geometric dome makes a great place for them to burn off some energy. Appropriate for ages 3-10, rust resistant, and no lead based materials.
Classic teeter totters are always a hit. My kids love the one my mother in law bought for them from an elementary school auction. If you aren’t so lucky to find one at an auction, check out these available on Amazon and Etsy.
Swinging from the trees is still a kids favorite form of play. These new skycurve swings make it fun for everyone.
Our decision to buy an inflatable bouncy house was one of the best decisions we made when considering which outdoor toys we wanted to include in our backyard. We decided after considering the cost to rent one for a single birthday party that for just a little more money we could own one of our own. Our kids and their friends have now enjoyed our bouncy house for three seasons.
Outdoor Water Toys
What’s summer outside without outdoor water toys? Here are a few that every kid has to have for maximum outdoor fun this summer!
- Bunch O Balloons – Instant Water Balloons- Okay, this may just be the best invention I have ever seen. (I know, I exaggerate, but hear me out). Have you ever tried to fill up those tiny little water balloons with a hose? Good grief just shoot me now. Now you can fill and tie up to 100 WATER BALLOONS in 60 SECONDS!!! Watch out, ain’t nobody walking away from this water balloon fight. (Refill packs available as well)
- Big Bubble Ball Bouncy water Balloon– That’s right! One GIANT water balloon! So fun!
- Nerf Super Soaker Freezefire Blaster– Every kid has to have a super soaker at least once. Similar to our indoor Nerf gun fights, Super Soakers are a favorite outdoor family pastime in our household.
Sprinkle & Splash Play Mat– Splash Mats are a great outdoor toy for kids in the summer. I love them for little tykes because they provide a wonderful way to cool off and are less risky than the splash pools. The bright and fun colors available make these outdoor water toys a great addition to your summer toy list.