For simple and easy-to-make camping meals you can rely on a pie iron to do the job for you. Check out these pie iron camping meals you can make with minimal effort.
From breakfast burritos to s’mores pies, there’s no limit to what you can make with some imagination and a pie iron. So if you’re looking for an exciting way to enjoy your next camping trip while still having tasty food available, consider giving pie irons a try!
These nifty and versatile cooking utensils are all you need to cook your favorite sandwiches and pizza recipes.
Check out these 13 yummy pie iron camping meals that your whole family will enjoy.
What is a pie iron for camping?
A pie iron or camp cooker is a simple cooking utensil that has two cupped metal cooking plates hinged together.
This tool allows you to grill, bake, and toast over a campfire. It is one of the easiest ways to make camping breakfast, lunch, or dinner, you can also use them to create tasty snacks that you can enjoy while camping.
How Do I Season A Pie Iron?
A cast pie iron needs to be seasoned first before using it, follow simple steps for proper seasoning of your brand new cast irons.
- Upon removing it from its packaging you will find a thin paraffin wax coating your cat irons. Remove this by scrubbing it with soap and warm water or heat it for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes and while it’s still warm wash it again with warm soapy water to remove the residue.
- Completely dry the pie iron and coat it with vegetable oil.
- Heat over the campfire or grill it for about 15 minutes.
- After cooling down, wipe it clean.
- Repeated the process 4 times to get a good coating.
How Do You Use A Camping Pie Iron?
Using a pie iron to make your camping meals is very easy. Here are some reminders for proper usage and handling of your pie irons while on camp.
- Before putting any of your food ingredients inside make sure you apply non-stick cooking spray to the inside of both iron plates. You can also apply butter to your bread if you don’t have a non-stick spray at hand.
- Place your bread or any other ingredients inside before closing and latching it.
- Time to cook your meal over the campfire. Turn it over occasionally to make the cooking even.
- Be mindful of the latch and handles as they can be very hot while you’re cooking.
Shop My Favorite Camping Coolers
The following Rotomolded Coolers are some of my favorite brands and represent the best camping coolers on the market. If you need something that will keep your camping meals fresh all week, these are the coolers to choose! Yes, these are affiliate links.
Download This FREE Camping Menu Planner!
More Camping Meal Resources
- 10 Lip Smacking Dutch Oven Camping Recipes For The Cowboys In Your Camp
- 21 No Cook Camping Meal Ideas That You Can Make In Breeze
- 10 Make Ahead Camping Meals
- 50+ Healthy Camping Meals
More Related Resources
If you’re on a tight budget, there are also affordable options when it comes to camping meals. Check out our post on Cheap Camping Meal recipes.
And when the rain starts to pour, you can count on these camping activities for rainy days to bring in the fun.