Looking into the Smoky Mountains to visit this fall? In this guide, we share some of the best things to do in the Smoky Mountains in October.
October marks a spectacular time to visit the Smoky Mountains, as the landscape transforms into an artist’s palette of gold, crimson, and orange hues, thanks to the change of seasons.
This time of the year introduces a unique blend of temperate weather and vibrant fall foliage, making it a prime time for outdoor adventures.
One of the best things to do in the Smoky Mountains in October is to go leaf-peeping.
The fall foliage in the Smoky Mountains is some of the most beautiful in the country.
You can drive through the scenic roads, hike to viewpoints, or take a ride on the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad to see the leaves up close.
Festivals and Events in the Smoky Mountains in October
- Smoky Mountain Oktoberfest: This festival takes place at Ober Gatlinburg and celebrates all things German, including food, drink, music, and dance.
- Fall Festivals at Dollywood: Dollywood celebrates the autumn season with a variety of festivals throughout October, including the Harvest Fest Celebration and the Great Pumpkin LumiNights.
- Gatlinburg Craftsmen’s Fair: This fair features over 180 of the best Appalachian crafters and artisans, selling everything from wood carvings to quilts to pottery.
- Chalkfest at The Island: October 8, 2023, marks the 7th Annual Chalkfest at The Island in Pigeon Forge. Professional and aspiring artists alike are invited to create a masterpiece on the pavement with chalk and concrete provided.
- Smoky Mtn Collectable Showcase: This is your chance to find the rarest collectibles from all over the Southeast. It’s the best place to go if you’re looking for cards, comics, toys, and more! This will happen on Oct.13 – 14, 2023.
- Wears Valley Fall Fest: Celebrate the fall colors of the Smoky Mountains with live entertainment, activities, and delicious food at Wears Valley Fall Fest. Don’t miss out on three days of family fun next to the Tennessee State Bank on Wears Valley Road.
So if you’re looking for some festive fun in the Smoky Mountains in October 2023, be sure to check out one (or all!) of these great festivals!
Smoky Mountains Weather in October
The weather in the Smoky Mountains in October can be unpredictable. The days can be warm and sunny, or cool and cloudy. Sometimes it can even be a little bit of both. However, one thing is for sure – the leaves will be changing color and falling from the trees!
The average high temperature in the Smokies in October is 71 degrees Fahrenheit (22 degrees Celsius). The average low temperature is 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees Celsius). However, it is not unusual for the temperature to dip below freezing at night, so visitors should come prepared with layers of clothing.
October is also a month when the Smokies tend to see a lot of rainfall. The average precipitation for the month is 4.4 inches (11.1 centimeters). However, this amount can vary greatly from year to year.
Despite the weather being a bit unpredictable, October is still a popular month to visit the Smoky Mountains.
The fall colors are simply stunning, and there are plenty of fun events and activities to enjoy. So if you’re thinking about taking a trip to the Smokies this October, just be sure to pack your rain jacket and sweaters!
What to Pack in October in the Smoky Mountains
If you’re heading to the Smoky Mountains in October, you’ll need to pack accordingly. The weather can be unpredictable, so it’s important to be prepared. Here are a few things to pack:
- A heavy coat: October is typically the start of cooler weather in the Smokies. You may not need it every day, but it’s always good to have a coat on hand in case the temperature drops.
- A raincoat: October is also the start of the rainy season in the Smokies. A raincoat will help you stay dry when the showers come.
- Hiking gear: October is a great time to go hiking in the Smokies. The leaves are starting to change color, and the cooler weather makes for more comfortable hikes. Be sure to pack your hiking boots, a daypack, and plenty of water.
- Warm clothing: Even though the days may be warm, the nights can get chilly in October. Pack warm clothes, like sweaters and pants, to keep you comfortable at night.
- A camera: October is a beautiful time of year in the Smokies. The leaves are changing color, and the scenery is simply stunning. Be sure to bring a camera along to capture all the beauty.
Download Our FREE Fall Packing List For The Smoky Mountains!
Get This Smoky Mountains 7-Day Itinerary!
- Pigeon Forge Vacation Guide
- Gatlinburg Vacation Guide
- 125+ Things to Do in the Smoky Mountains
- Great Smoky Mountains Family Vacations Facebook Group
More Recommended Resources
Be sure to check out all the cheap things to do in Pigeon Forge while you are in the area.
The kids will enjoy this Smoky Mountains coloring sheet while you are traveling to your favorite summer mountain vacation.