If you are shopping for a new ATV helmet for your recreational ATV riding adventures, you might be wondering, What size ATV helmet do I need?
In this article, I will explain how to decide on the right size ATV helmet to choose and how to ensure it is fitting properly for your comfort and safety on the ATV trail.
In this post, I want to share how to properly size your ATV helmet for the best fit. Fitment is an important factor in deciding what type of ATV helmet you choose because an improperly fit helmet is an unsafe helmet.
How Do I Decide The Right Size ATV Helmet?
While there is no standard sizing among manufacturers, most of them offer a sizing chart. If you follow the procedure listed below to measure your head and then check the specific manufacturer sizing chart, you will be able to determine the best fit.
Buying the correct size ATV helmet is definitely necessary in case you get into an accident. Wearing a helmet that best fits your head size and shape can prevent and minimize injuries, and help save your life.
When it comes to ATV helmets, there’s a variety of sizes to pick from depending on the age and height of the rider. Most ATV helmet sizes typically go from 17.5 inches up to 28 inches.
How To Measure For Best ATV Helmet Fit
- Use a tailor’s or sewing measuring tape and measure the circumference of your head from 1/2” above your eyebrow around to the fullest part of your skull. This is easier if you have someone help you.
- Most sizing charts are in inches, but you may wish to record your measurement in both centimeters and inches to be sure you have the measurement you need.
- The ATV helmet should fit SNUG! If the helmet easily glides on with little force, it is likely too big. If the helmet goes on too easily, it may well come off just as easily in the event of an accident or blunt force.
- The fit you are checking is the fit on your head (not your face). The cheek pads will contour to your face over time and some helmets even offer peel aways to aid in this, but we are most concerned with the fit of your head! There should be no slippage!
- Once you choose the size of helmet and receive your new helmet, perform these steps to ensure a good fit.
How To Determine If Your ATV Helmet Fits Properly
- Tighten your chin strap and gently lift upward on the helmet or turn your head from side to side. There should be NO PLAY. If so, it is TOO BIG.
- Next, grab the back of your helmet and try to lift it forward. You should be UNABLE to lift your helmet off of your head in this manner.
- Finally, check to see if you can slip your fingers underneath the front of your helmet along your forehead. If so, then the helmet is TOO BIG. Again, the helmet must fit SNUG to ensure maximum safety.
- Leave the helmet on for a few minutes to ensure there are no uncomfortable spots that worsen over time.
Want an ATV Helmet that has it all?
Our #1 Pick is the ARAI XD4 Helmet Dual-Sport Helmet!!
The 4S’s of ATV Helmet Sizing
The Snell Foundation has developed a helmet guide to help you determine if any helmet fits properly. Utilizing what they call the 4S’s they offer the following advice.
- Snell Foundation List- Choose a helmet that has an approved Snell Foundation Certificate.
- Size- Sizing may vary from helmet to helmet, so be sure your helmet doesn’t shift on your head.
- Shape- The shape of your head will affect your fit. That’s why ATV helmets that offer peel away foam and cheek pads are a better choice to ensure porper fitment.
- Strap- You shouldn’t be able to slip more than two fingers underneath the strap.
Speaking of safety, it’s important that you perform an ATV Pre-Ride inspection every time you hit the trails. Be sure to grab this FREE checklist to help!
Fun ATV Riding Clothes
While protective gear is essential on the trail, looking cute and sharing your wilder riding side with the world is okay. I’m a big fan of ball caps and love this adorable “ATV hair, Don’t Care” hat from Sew Vivid Design on Etsy. Be sure to check out all this cute ATV apparel.
Get Your FREE ATV Pre Ride Inspection Checklist!
Recommended ATV Riding Resources
- Top ATV Trails Near Me in the Southeast
- Must-Have ATV Accessories
- ATV Riding Clothes– Everything you need to get started
- ATV Trails Near Me Facebook Group
More Related Resources
Aside from helmets, choosing the best ATV goggles is essential. ATV goggles work in conjunction with ATV helmets to provide overall protection to the face and head.
If you think you’ve got all the riding gear needed and are looking for a place for adventure, here is a guide to the best Maui ATV Tours that you can check out.