Are you wondering what to wear in Gatlinburg in October? In this Gatlinburg vacation guide, we will help you pack for your fall trip and give you some great ideas on what to wear while you are there!
October is one of the best months to visit Gatlinburg, Tennessee! The leaves are changing, and the weather is perfect for spending time outdoors. However, with the cooler temperatures comes the need for warmer clothing.
There are plenty of great things to do in Gatlinburg in October, and you will want to be prepared for all of them!
But what should you wear in Gatlinburg in October? Keep reading to find out!
How Do People Dress In Gatlinburg In October?
The temperatures in Gatlinburg in October are usually cool, with an average high of 71 degrees Fahrenheit and an average low of 50 degrees Fahrenheit. However, the weather can be unpredictable, so it’s always a good idea to dress in layers.
What to Wear During the Day
If you’re planning to spend most of your time outdoors during the day, then you’ll want to dress for the weather. October is a great time to visit Gatlinburg since the temperatures are cool but not too cold. You’ll want to pack a few light layers that you can easily take on and off as the temperature changes.
- A good pair of jeans or Khakis
- Short-sleeve shirts
- Lighter long-sleeved shirts
- Comfortable walking shoes are a must. You’ll be doing a lot of walking in Gatlinburg, so make sure your shoes are up for the challenge.
- Pack a pair of sturdy shoes or hiking boots if you’re planning on doing any hiking.
- You can pack a pair of shorts just in case you have a really warm day.
- Bathing suit if you’re staying somewhere with an indoor pool
- Hat or visor
What to Wear at Night
When the sun goes down, the temperature in Gatlinburg usually drops a few degrees. You’ll want to have a few layers on hand to keep you warm.
- A light jacket or sweater
- Long-sleeved shirt
- Jeans or Khakis
- Comfortable shoes – you may want to pack a second pair of shoes to change into at night.
- Pack a scarf or beanies to keep your head and neck warm.
Additional Items to Pack
No matter what time of year you visit Gatlinburg, there are a few items you should always pack.
- Sunscreen – even on cloudy days, the UV rays can be strong.
- Umbrella – even if the forecast doesn’t call for rain, it’s always a good idea to have an umbrella on hand.
- Water bottle – staying hydrated is important, especially when you’re doing a lot of walking.
- Bug spray – there are always a few pesky bugs around, especially in the evenings.
- Bear horn or bear spray – if you’re planning on doing any hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- First-aid kit – you never know when you might need it.
- Map – a map of the area can come in handy, especially if you’re doing any hiking.
- Camera – to capture all your memories!
Gatlinburg is a great place to visit any time of year. October is a particularly nice time to visit since the temperatures are cool but not cold. Just be sure to pack appropriate clothing for both day and night, as well as some essential items. Then you’ll be all set to enjoy your trip!
Where To Stay In Gatlinburg In Fall?
If you’re reveling in the fall spirit like I am, there’s no better way to make the most of the season than with a little mountain getaway. This cozy cabin from GSM Family Vacations would make the perfect escape.
What are you waiting for? Book your cozy front-row seat to view fall foliage this season in the Smoky Mountains.
Can’t Afford a Family Vacation? Think Again!
- Would You Like An Easy Way to keep track of your travel expenses?
- Do you ever feel like you have no idea what you spend on your vacation?
- Wouldn’t it be nice to keep your travel plans and confirmation numbers AND track your spending all on your phone and in ONE place?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, then The Travel Expense Tracker™️ can help you.
Gain control of your travel budget so you can travel more NOW and in the future!
Accessible from your tablet, laptop, or smartphone.
Get This FREE Fall Packing Checklist For The Smoky Mountains!
Recommended Gatlinburg Vacation Resources
- Smoky Mountains Vacation Guide
- Pigeon Forge Vacation Guide
- Fun Things to Do in Gatlinburg in March
- Great Smoky Mountains Family Vacations Facebook Group
MORE RELATED RESOURCES
Are you planning to explore Gatlinburg in Fall? then you should check out our post on the best things to do in Gatlinburg in Fall to make the most out of your trip! If it’s going to be a long trip, these travel printable games from PhotoJeepers will surely come in handy.