Whether you’re headed to the beach or going hiking, proper sun protection is an absolute must. This outdoor gear guide features the best sun hats for women that are both stylish and functional at the same time.
Wearing sun hats when you’re out in the sun is one way to protect yourself from the sun’s harsh UV rays and helps you keep cool on extremely hot days. Not only that, but they also add a stylish touch to your summer wardrobe.
However, with so many styles, materials, and features available, it can be overwhelming to choose the perfect sun hat for your needs.
In this discussion, we will explore some of the best sun hats for women, highlighting their features, pros, and cons, to help you find the perfect sun hat that meets your style and protection needs.
What To Consider When Choosing Sun Hats For Women?
Picking out the perfect sun hat isn’t that hard, just make sure that you consider these things before making your purchase.
The performance of your sun hats greatly depends on the materials used in making them. Materials for your sun hats should provide enough comfort, breathability, and functionality for optimal use outdoors.
The most common materials for sun hats are as follows:
- Cotton- Hats made out of cotton are soft and comfortable on the head thanks to their excellent breathability. But one downside is that cotton fabric is known to be slow drying and that is not good news for people who sweat a lot outdoors.
- Polyester and Nylon- These are synthetic materials that are very durable and have moisture-wicking and water-resistant capacities. It’s not as breathable as cotton so in case you choose a hat made of this fabric, see to it that it has added features like mesh vents.
- Straw- Sun hats made of straw are very stylish and lightweight to wear. Great for more laid-back outdoor activities since it’s less durable compared to other materials.
Sun Protection and Coverage
Sun hats protect the face and neck from the harsh rays of the sun. You should choose a sun hat that has a 50+ UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) rating. UPF of 50+ can block 98% of the sun’s harmful rays.
Even with this rating, it’s still wise not to skip applying sunscreen for full protection.
Before choosing a sun hat make sure that you are buying it for a specific purpose. Will it be used for hiking, running, or sightseeing?
Sun hats for extreme outdoor activities should be durable and work efficiently even in demanding environments.
Size and Fit
Choosing the right fit or size of sun hat is also an important factor to consider. For adequate protection and coverage choose hats that come with brims that are at least 3 inches in width.
Wider brims, of course, offer greater coverage but are ideal for activities with less movement like sightseeing or just hanging by the beach.
To measure your size, use a flexible tape measure and wrap it around the largest part of your head in the back and just above your eyebrows. Take note that sizes may depend on the manufacturer to keep an eye on the manufacturer’s size guide.
There are so many styles and designs to choose from when it comes to women’s sun hats. Make sure that you choose a hat that you’ll be comfortable and confident wearing.
Durability is always an important factor especially when choosing outdoor gear. The best sun hats for women on the market are made of high-quality materials that are durable and should withstand very demanding activities.
The top-quality ones can even last for so many years, so make sure you choose wisely.
Other than being a factor in styling, color also contributes to the effectiveness of sun hats. Darker colors tend to attract heat and make the head warm faster, while lighter ones keep the head cooler and fadeless.
Ensure that you also look for additional features that contribute to the overall performance and functionality of the hats. Here are some you should keep an eye on:
- Mesh vents– This feature allows the air to pass through your hats, making the head feel cool and less sweaty.
- Drawcord or strings– You may find this feature in most sun hats, as this serves to hold your hats safely on your head in case the strong wind blows.
- Internal sweatband– A strip of fabric that is found on the inside of your hat that prevents sweat from dripping down your face.
What Are The Best Hats For Sun Protection?
Sun hats that offer UPF(Ultraviolet Protection Factor) of 50 and above are the best hats for sun protection. Hats with UPF 50+ rating block 98 % of the sun’s rays and allow two percent (1/50th) to penetrate, thus greatly reducing your exposure risk significantly.
Aside from this, the brims on the hat should measure 3 inches or more to provide proper coverage for your face and neck.
How To Wear Sun Hats For Women
Sun hats, aside from providing sun protection are also great additions to your wardrobe and can elevate your style in an instant.
Here are some tips for choosing sun hats that are not only functional but also flattering.
- Choose a color scheme that you’re comfortable and confident wearing. Choosing the right color of hat for your skin tone can also level up your overall style.
- Light/Pale skin- a hat with contrasting colors to your skin like grey, brown, green, and dark blue is better.
- Olive skin tones- most colors are complimenting people with olive skin tones. Shades that are slightly lighter or darker than the middle ground.
- Darker skin tones – Almost any color. Make sure you add some contrast between your skin color and the hat.
- For tall people, wide-brimmed hats are more flattering. While for those with shorter heights, choose brims that stay within the width of your shoulders.
- Sun hats with flat/short crowns with medium-sized brims are better for people with longer faces. While for a shorter face, it is better to choose hats with small brims.
Are Hats Better Than Sunscreen?
Although good quality sun hats provide sun protection, it doesn’t guarantee you 100% protection against the sun’s harmful rays.
When UV rays bounce off your hats, they can hit other objects near you and tend to bounce back to other parts of your body.
Applying sunscreen, aside from using hats and other sun-protective gear, is best to reduce your exposure to UV/UVB rays.
Fun & Cool Hiking Clothes
Related Outdoor Living Reading
More Recommended Resources
If you want to take your kids’ adventure to the next level, check out these things to do with kids in the Smoky Mountains, or try this camping BINGO game that your kids and adults alike will enjoy!