Hiking requires proper hiking boots that provide support and stability. For individuals who have flatfeet, looking for the right kind of hiking boots can be a bit challenging. Choosing the best hiking boots for your flat feet is easier when you know what to look for. Today, we have listed the best hiking boots for flat feet plus a guide to help you choose the best one for you.
Don’t Forget To Pin It For Later
What Exactly Are Flat Feet?
This condition is also known as “pes planus” or “fallen arches”. Flat feet are often characterized by a flattened arch on the insides of your foot and when standing, the entire sole of your foot tends to touch the floor. This foot abnormality can be hereditary or can develop over time.
Usually, no treatment is necessary when it’s painless and doesn’t interfere with normal body function and movement. In cases where it causes pain and problems with the body, treatment can be done. Some of the treatments that can be done to correct this condition are by using appropriate footwear/ orthotics, lifestyle changes, medication, and foot surgery.
Benefits of Wearing Hiking Boots For Flat Feet
Wearing proper hiking boots before your head out for the trail is super important. Compared to casual or regular shoes that you have, hiking boots offer more features that are tailored to keep you safe and comfortable on the trail. The following are the benefits you can get from wearing a quality pair of hiking boots.
- Support– People with flat feet don’t have enough support when walking. Hiking boots with enough arch support keep the feet comfortable, preventing pain and injuries along the way.
- Shock absorption– Hiking boots reduce the impact that can be transferred to your feet when walking or running preventing your foot from getting hurt or injured.
- Comfort- boots for hiking are specially developed to help you feel more comfortable when hiking. Maximum comfort may not be achieved when you wear regular shoes, especially on rugged terrains.
- Foot protection– Wearing hiking boots protects you from all sorts of things and conditions that can hurt your feet. From sharp objects to extreme weather conditions, hiking boots are a reliable companion.
Related Reading: Best Wide Toe Box Shoes For Hiking
Factors To Consider When Choosing Hiking Boots For Flat Feet
Material & Construction
A quality performance is achieved through quality material and construction. Hiking boots that are made from sturdy and durable materials are ideal to keep your feet protected in different conditions and terrains.
For hikers with flat feet, superior arch support is necessary. Hiking on rugged, slippery, and uneven terrains can be challenging especially for people with such conditions. To prevent pain and injuries along the way, choose hiking boots that offer excellent support for your arch, these can be seen on the insole design and materials, so make sure you check it.
Aside from your arches, you should also give importance to your ankles. High ankle boots are especially beneficial if you are prone to roll and sprained ankles. Plus a high-cut boot provides extra protection for your foot and can reduce the impact on the sole of your foot when stepping.
Just like any other footwear, choosing the right fit for your hiking boots is essential. Wearing small and tight hiking shoes can lead to blister formation and other foot injuries. To find the right pair, you should know how to fit hiking boots properly.
Cushioning adds more comfort to your shoes, plus it also helps in shock absorption.
Insoles with deep heel cups can help decrease wear and tear on your feet. Added cushioning is also ideal for hikers with a heavy load Insole materials like Gel and foams are used to make your journeys pain-free every step of the way.
Some terrains can be extremely demanding, wet conditions and slippery surfaces can make it more challenging. To prevent accidents and injuries, having reliable outsoles is an important factor. Deep and multi-directional lugs provide excellent grip for surfaces that are slippery and more rugged.
The weight of your hiking boots is another factor to consider. If you plan to go on a whole day hike, you should pick a more lightweight pair so as not to put too much strain on your foot. But you can also choose a heavier design and more rugged pair of boots if you plan to do multi-day hikes and you expect challenging terrains your way.
Here are some other features you should keep an eye on when choosing the best hiking boots for you.
- Waterproof– Hiking boots that have a waterproof surface help keep your feet dry and protect your boots from being damaged by water or moisture when hiking.
- Breathability– On warm or hot weather conditions, the foot should have enough ventilation to keep it cool throughout your hike.
- Insulation– To keep your foot warm in colder weather, your hiking boots should provide enough coverage and insulation.
What Are The Best Hiking Boots For Flat Feet?
Having a flat foot when hiking isn’t so much of an issue when you have reliable hiking boots that can provide enough arch support and protection for your special needs. You don’t have to spend hours looking for the best fit for you because we’ve rounded up the best hiking boots for flat feet that can make your hiking experience one for the books. Be sure to check them out!
Exercise For Flat Feet
To help correct and manage the pain that goes with flat feet, you can insert these super easy exercises in your daily routine or you can also do this to prepare your feet for when you hike.
- Heel stretching– Stand with your hands resting on a wall at the shoulder or eye level, then keep one leg forward and one leg extended at the back. Press both your heels firmly on the floor for about 30 sec and do this 4 times on each side. Make sure that you keep your spine straight as you do the exercise.
- Tennis or golf ball rolls– Sit on a chair and place a golf or tennis ball under one foot and roll them under your feet. The spine should always be straight, do this on each side for 2-3 min.
- Arch lift– Stand with your feet directly underneath your hips and roll your weight to the outer edges of your feet as you lift your arches as far as you can, then return to the original position. Do 10–15 repetitions in 2 to 3 sets.
- Towel curl– Spread a thin towel flat on the floor and place your bare foot on it. Keep your heel in place, pull the towel toward you by grabbing it with your toes and arch. 5 reps on each foot.
- Achilles Stretch– Stand on a step with your heels out and hanging off, slowly drop your heels down to the edge then bring them back up to the step level after 15 sec. Repeat it for 5 times.
Are Hiking Boots Good For Flat Feet?
Hiking boots offer support, stability, and protection for your feet when hiking. When choosing hiking boots for people with flat feet always look for boots that offer superior arch and ankle support for a more comfortable and pain-free hike. Aside from these benefits, wearing quality hiking boots protects your foot from getting blisters and foot injuries.
You Might Also Be Interested In our Other Outdoor Living Posts