Be ready to hit the slopes this winter with this Skiing Resources Guide! Here at VeraVise Outdoor Living, we want to give you the best skiing experience possible.
With this guide, you’ll have access to detailed reviews of ski resorts, tips on how to choose the right equipment, advice on what clothing items are essential for a successful day on the slopes, safety tips, and more!
Skiing is a great way to stay active during the cold months and enjoy some breathtaking views. But first, you need to make sure that you have all of the necessary resources for your skiing adventure.
The word ‘Ski’ is derived from the Norwegian word ‘skíð’ which means a split piece of wood. Skiing was originally a form of transportation in the mountains of Europe before it became a sport.
Today, It is a popular winter sport across the globe and such an adrenaline-rushing activity no matter what your ability level is. For beginners, just simply putting skis on for the first time can be so much fun.
“In the United States, skiing and snowboarding are among the most popular winter sports. In 2017, the number of skiers in the United States amounted to around 14.94 million and the number of snowboarders in that year was about 7.56 million.”Winter Sports – Statistics & Facts
Being underprepared and packing the wrong stuff can be one of the worst things you can do before embarking on your skiing trip.
Imagine you’re halfway to the top of the mountain then it hits you that you forgot something at home. To prevent these things from happening, use this checklist when packing for your next skiing trip.
- Sun Protection– Skiers spend all day outside at high-altitudes where the UV rays are much stronger therefore you need sunscreen to protect you from these harmful rays. Lip balm is also essential as it can help protect against the wind, sun, cold conditions, and dry air.
- Warm Clothing– To keep yourself warm and enjoy the rest of your day skiing, always bring the right skiing clothes. These are your gloves, jackets, pants, socks, hat/beanie.
- Snow Boots– Aside from bringing your ski boots if you choose to have one, you should also have warm waterproof boots with good tread to avoid skiing.
- Ski goggles– Goggles are normally not available for rent in ski resorts, so it is better to have your own goggles before heading to the ski locations.
- Ski Bag– If you’re bringing your own skis we recommend that you have a ski bag to keep them.
- Skis(Including Ski Bindings)- If it’s your first time skiing, you can rent a pair in a resort from a reputable ski shop. Make sure you don’t lie about your skiing experience so the staff can choose what’s best for you.
- First Aid Kit– Beginners and experts alike need a handy first aid kit to be prepared for aches and bumps along the way.
Skiing Tips For Beginners
Skiing for the first time is exciting and can be nerve-wracking at the same time. But the fact is, every skier starts as a beginner, even expert skiers had their fair share of bumps and crashes along the way.
Whether you’re a beginner at skiing or need some refresher, these tips will help you ride down the slopes in flying colors.
1.Use a Skiing checklist so you’re sure to bring all that is needed for your skiing trip.
2. Choose a beginner-friendly ski resort
3. Rent some of the larger equipment, we recommend getting some experience first before shelling out some cash for your own skiing equipment.
4. Take some skiing lessons for beginners
5. Start skiing on smooth and easy slopes
6. Bend your knees to keep your balance and Lookup, not down on your feet!
7. Don’t forget about the “pizza formation”- beginners are usually taught to align skis with the toes slightly pointed inward to prevent skiing too fast.
8. Don’t forget to hydrate, a ski hydration pack is a great idea.
9. And lastly, practice makes perfect!
How to Dress for Skiing
Your skiing clothes can make or break your skiing experience. The key is finding skiing apparel that will be warm that will wick sweat away from your skin and will give you a full range of movement.
The best way to dress for skiing is to focus on one layer of clothing at a time. Starting from the base layer, mid-layer, and finally the outer layer, each with its own important function.
- Best Women’s Ski Jackets
- Best Women’s Ski Boots
- The Best Women’s Ski Pants
- Best Heated Gloves For Skiing
- The Best Extra Wide Women’s Snow Boots
- Best Ski Bibs
Skiing Gear & Accessories
Aside from layering and choosing the right type of clothes for skiing, there are other ski gear and accessories that you should always pack before you head on to your skiing vacation.
- Best Ski Resorts In and Near Tennessee
- Best Ski Resorts In Virginia
- Best Ski Resorts In West Virginia
- Best Ski Resorts In Pennsylvania
- Best Ski Resorts In New York
- 5 Best Ski Resorts In North Carolina
Whether it’s finding the best slopes or packing for your journey; our guide will ensure that no stone is left unturned.
We strive to keep this resource up-to-date so be sure to check back often.
If you’re looking for more ideas for your next winter getaway, you might find our other resource guides helpful. Check them out!
- Snow Tubing Resources
- Tennessee Vacation Guide
- Smoky Mountains Vacation Guide
- Best Places To Travel in the US