Eating healthy while camping can be hard. I get it. But it doesn’t have to be impossible. In fact, keto camping meals are some of the easiest camping meals to make.
If you do a bit of preplanning, you’ll discover most keto recipes can be adapted and made into yummy meals for the campground.
You can convert most of your favorite keto recipes into easy camping meals with a bit of planning. In this RV Camping resource guide, we are giving a few tips for making your camping meals keto-friendly.
How Do You Eat Keto While Camping?
I bet you think staying on keto while camping is difficult but it’s the opposite. It’s actually easier to stay on keto during camping trips because you’re the one preparing for your food.
But of course, you also need to have the determination to stay on track with your diet goals.
Here are some ways for you to make sure you eat keto while camping.
- Breakfast is pretty easy- Eggs, Sausage, Bacon, etc. Fresh tomatoes in the summer make a nice addition to your breakfast omelets.
- For lunches and dinners use make ahead camping meals using foil packets.
- Never let yourself get too hungry by keeping keto friendly snacks on hand like nuts, keto friendly trail mix, and fresh low carb fruits that are in season like berries, your favorite protein bars, or fat bombs.
- To satisfy that need for a grilled burger at the campground, consider using portobello mushrooms, lettuce, or tomatoes for in place of your bun. Or just pile it up with your favorite toppings and eat it with a fork.
- Dinner is where eating keto camping meals really shine. There are endless options when it comes to grilled meats and we all know everything tastes better over an open campfire.
Related Reading: 16+ No-Cook Keto Camping Meals
What To Take Camping On Keto Diet
To keep it as simple as possible, pack foods that are easy to transport and won’t take too much space.
If you are camping in an RV vs camping in a tent, your options may be more significant.
However, if you invest in an excellent rotomolded cooler, even tent campers can pack plenty of healthy fresh food and meats and not worry about spoilage.
Here’s a shortlist of foods you may want to pack on your camping trip if you are on a keto diet.
- Coconut oil
- Favorite nuts, seeds, and low carb trail mix
- Protein Bars
- Several cuts of meat: pork, chicken, ribeye, lamb chops
- Ground hamburger
- Seafood- Shrimp, salmon, trout, other favorite fish choices
- Low carb veggies: Lettuce, cucumbers, cauliflower
- Peanut butter or other favorite nut butters
- Favorite sugar free chocolate (Of course!!)
A Few More Keto Camping Tips
If you are on a keto or low carb diet, don’t feel you can’t enjoy camping.
In fact, camping may be one of the easiest ways to travel and stay on keto since you are still in charge of all the food prep and planning.
However, also, don’t beat yourself up if you make a mistake and have a cheat.
See it for what it is and get back on plan the next meal or snack.
The most important thing is that you don’t let that one mistake become an excuse to blow the whole day or week.
Also, don’t discount the opportunity to get in some physical activity to make up for any cheats you might have.
Go biking and hiking and enjoy the outdoors and family time.
Don’t let you meal planning destroy the real reason you are camping in the first place: to relax and make memories with your family.
Happy camping friends!
Don’t miss our 6 Perfect Keto Camping Snacks to add to your Keto camping meal plan!
More Easy Meals For Camping
If you are looking for even more easy meals for camping trips, check out Proper Good! As seen on Shark Tank, these Easy on-the-go meals are perfect for camping and super healthy to boot.
FREE Camping Menu Planner
More Related Resources
We’ve got everything you need to plan the perfect Keto Camping Menu. Check out all of our Keto Camping articles.
Check out this handy personalized keto diet meal planner.